Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Barnet FC v Weston-super-Mare

Barnet FC 3 - 0 Weston-super-Mare
15 Oct 2022 - 15:00The Hive Stadium

Weston’s long unbeaten run came to an end after defeat at National League Premier Side Barnet 3-0 in the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round.

Sam Avery had the first half-chance of the game when Elis Watts’ corner found the defender at the back post, whose header deflected wide for another corner which came to nothing. Watt’s cross-shot across goal four minutes later also missed the stretching Marlon Jackson, while Danny Collinge headed wide at the back post from Rob Hall’s corner in Barnet’s first attempt.

Ryan De Haaviland fired over the bar from 18 yards on his left foot after a quick Barnet attack, before Dale Gorman curled wide of the target from a similar position after Nicke Kabamba had laid the ball back to him.

Barnet were to break the deadlock just after the half-hour mark when Gorman’s corner was flicked on by Collinge at the front post, which struck the bar. The ball dropped for the sliding Dom Revan a yard out, and he was able to scramble the ball in over the line with what looked like a clear handball.

Max Harris was called into meaningful action for the first time when he had to push a Revan header from six yards round the post, while down the other end Scott Laird tested Laurie Walker for the first time after intercepting a pass on halfway and driving forward before seeing his low attempt pushed away by the keeper. The final chance of the half fell to Barnet and Hall’s way, the winger winning the ball 25 yards inside the Weston half and firing wide of the target.

In the second period, Grubb had the opening attempt when good buildup play down the left saw the ball find the skipper 18 yards out, but his shot was held by Walker. Murray had a cross-cum-shot pushed over the bar by Walker after beating three men down the right, before a Humphries free-kick from 30 yards dipped over the bar and into the stand.

Barnet were to double their lead on the counter-attack shortly after a strong Weston penalty appeal was turned down. Bastin’s shot looked to have clearly struck the arm of the sliding Gorman inside the Barnet area, before the Bees broke away and Hall was tripped inside the area when attempting to retrieve a loose ball. Captain Gorman stepped up to the spot, and smashed his penalty down the middle to make it 2-0.

Barnet were to get a third a few minutes later when a cross from Hall found Kabamba in space six yards out, whose downward header was palmed away by Harris. Kanu was on hand however to fire in the rebound from a few yards out.

FT: Barnet 3-0 Weston (Revan 32, Gorman pen 72, Kanu 75)

Weston XI: Harris, Murray, Laird, Jagger-Cane, Humphries, Avery, Dodd, Jackson, Grubb (C), Watts (Bastin 66), Reid. Unused substitutes: Thomas, Purnell, Tunnicliff, Griffith, Jones, Bak.

MOTM: Jacob Jagger-Cane