Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Bath City v Weston super Mare

Bath City 1 - 2 Weston super Mare AFC
09 Aug 2016 - 19:45Twerton Park


Weston Triumphant Against Local Rivals Bath

The Seagulls departed Twerton Park as 1-2 victors, with both goals from Shawn McCoulsky being enough to win this seasons first Somerset Derby despite a spirited response in the second half from the hosts.

Weston started with Luke Purnell in goal, Sekani Simpson and Jordan Williams as the full-backs with Jason Pope and captain Clayton Fortune paired up together at the centre of the defence. George Dowling was making his first start for the club on the right wing and Joe McClennan winger on the left. Darren Mullings and former Bath City player Ashely Kington were the central midfielders with Jake Mawford playing just behind Shawn McCoulsky up front.

The Seagulls looked very bright early on, the runs of Mawford and McCoulsky seemed to be proving very effective from the first whistle. The early pressure quickly paid off when Joe McClennan picked out McCoulsky with a fantastic through ball with the outside of his boot which sent the striker bearing down on goal keeping a cool head to slot the ball through the keeper’s legs and put Weston 1-0 up after 12 minutes.

In the 31st minute the Seagulls doubled their lead, Mawford split open the City defence with a reverse pass that put McCoulsky through on goal and yet again he finished the chance with style, firing the ball into the top right corner to make the score 0-2.

The rest of the first half was mainly played in midfield with few genuine chances being created, however Weston’s clinical finishing meant that the score at the break was 0-2.

The second half proved to be a tough test for Weston’s defence as Bath City consistently applied pressure, maintaining spells of possession and multiple set pieces, one of which looked a certain goal if it wasn’t for Purnell making a fantastic diving save at full stretch.

They did eventually get a goal back in the 82nd minute when Marvin Morgan got on the end of a deep cross and sent a powerful header past the helpless Purnell.

However Weston showed immense character to hold on to their lead for the final few minutes and when the full time whistle went it was a brilliant moment shared between the players and the fans.

The final score for the match was 1-2 to the Seagulls. Their next match is away to Welling United on Saturday 13th of August.

Weston XI: Purnell, Simpson, Pope, Fortune (C), Williams (Barnes 75), Kington, Mullings, Mawford, Dowling, McClennan, McCoulsky (Meechan 79)

Bath City 1-2 Weston (Morgan 82- McCoulsky 12, 31)

Match report written by Liam Byrne.