Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Bishops Stortford v WSM

Bishops Stortford 2 - 1 Weston super Mare
05 Nov 2016 - 15:00

Seagulls suffer narrow defeat to Stortford 

Although the Seagulls pushed on for a closer second half than the first, Weston went down to a battling Stortford side and their wait continues for their first league win since August 13th.

Bishop Stortford were quickest out of the blocks, with them opening the scoring 12 minutes into the game. Stortford earned a free-kick 30 yards from goal., the free-kick was laid off for Michael Richins, who then drove home into the corner to give the side the Blues the lead.

Stortford continued to attack the Weston backline and found themselves 2-0 up only a few minutes after their first hit the net. Freddie Moncur weaved his way past Jamie Laird, making his 2nd start of the season after rejoining from Bridgwater, and his shot found its way inside the near post leaving both the Weston fans and players alike visibly frustrated.

Weston pushed to halve the deficit before half-time and almost managed to when Jacob Cane played a superb ball forward for Brad Ash, who brought the ball down before charging past his marker but his left-footed shot when one-on-one was kept out by the Stortford keeper, Tom Lovelock.

Tom Meechan, a half time substitute, almost made an immediate impact when he flicked a desperately unlucky header against the base of the post following a Ben Withey cross from the right wing. Meechan’s intelligent runs complimented Brad Ash’s movement well throughout the second 45 minutes.

Weston’s sustained pressure eventually told in the 78th minute when Ash got a well deserved goal, the former Weston Academy man, chased a chipped through ball that sent him behind the defence, managed to flick the bouncing ball over the on-rushing keeper with superb technique to put the ball in the net.

Almost directly after kick off the Seagulls came close to equalizing, captain Ashley Kington hit a thunderbolt from 35 yards that squeezed through the legs of the keeper, however he made a quick recovery to get a hold of the ball before Jamie Bird could capitalize on his blunder.

Dayle Grubb and Bird both tried to even the score-line from outside the box, but despite their best efforts the ball didn’t hit the back of the net that final time and the match finished 2-1 to Bishop Stortford.

Despite a significant improvement in the second half, Weston couldn’t make amends for a disappointing start to the game. The likes of Tom Meechan, Bradley Ash and Jamie Bird looked very impressive in the second half but fortune favored the home side.

FT: Bishop Stortford 2-1 Weston

MOTM: The Away Fans: Even on a poor run of results, the Seagull Army remain in fine voice and continue to travel across the country to support the team. Thank you for your fantastic support.

Weston XI: Purnell, Withey Baldwin, Moran, Laird, Kington (C), Cane (Pope 70), Ingram (Meechan 45), Grubb, Ash, Mohammed (Bird 70)