Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

East Thurrock V Weston-super-Mare

East Thurrock Utd 3 - 4 Weston-super-Mare
04 Nov 2017 - 15:00

The game got off to the worst possible start for the Seagulls; five minutes in and a dubious free kick was awarded to the visitors on the edge of the Weston box. Sam Higgins took full advantage of it, bending the free kick into the bottom right corner.

Things then almost went from bad to worse for the visitors, just a couple of minutes later the Rocks sent two very dangerous low balls across the face of goal, however they failed to capitalise on their gilt-edged chance, and then allowed Weston to get a foothold in the game.

The Seagulls fought to get back into the game, and their hard work paid off rather quickly. In the 13th minute a spell of possession led to Tristan Plummer feeding the ball to Dayle Grubb on the right wing who worked a yard of space on the edge of the box before lashing the finish into the bottom right corner to bring the the score to 1 – 1.

The chances were relatively even for the remaining duration of the first half; Grubb hit a half-volley over the bar from a tough angle, one of the home strikers struck a superb curling strike from 25 yards out, narrowly over the bar and then just before half time Grubb put a left-footed cross through the 6 yard box and Jake Lee was painfully unlucky not to get anything on the end of it.

The half time score was 1-1, despite a nervy start Weston grew into the game throughout the first half pulled back an equaliser.

Once again the away side started the half shakily; they went 2-1 down in the 51st minute when a fantastic cross from the left wing picked out Higgins once again who volleyed emphatically into the top corner. This seemed to shock Weston into life though and East Thurrock’s lead was short lived. In the 55th minute the impressive Gethyn Hill latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box, drove towards goal and smashed a beautiful finish into the top corner to bring Weston level.

Almost straight from kick off Grubb appeared to simply waltz through almost the entire home team and finished coolly, but the calm head disappeared as soon as the ball hit the back of the net, celebrating wildly with the travelling Seagull Army.

Seagulls Captain Grubb had another chance to impress shortly afterwards after he was brutally scythed down 30 yards from goal. Othe dust had settled, the handbags has been put away and everyone had calmed down, the talismanic winger bent the resulting free kick towards the top right corner, but the home keeper produced an equally impressive save to deny him another goal on his impressive tally this season.

However in the 76th minute, the ever-reliable Jake Lee out-muscled his marker and leapt like a salmon to power a bullet header with precision and determination into the top corner, leaving the goalkeeper helpless and sending the Seagulls 2 – 4 up in a well deserved lead.

Late on in the game a goal-mouth scramble somehow ended with the ball in the back of the Weston net, the final touch coming off Jake Reid. The final 10 minutes were very tight but the away side weathered the storm impressively, defending astutely and running the clock down in a professional manner.

The final score was 3 – 4 and Weston really deserved the three points after a brilliant second half display. Our next game is at home to Eastbourne Borough on Saturday 11th November, we hope to see you there.

FT: East Thurrock 3-4 Weston-super-Mare A.F.C

WsM XI: Purnell, Harper, Smith, Pope, Greenslade, Cane, Diallo, Lee, Grubb, Hill, Plummer