Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Gateshead FC v Weston-super-Mare AFC

Gateshead FC 2 (4) - 2 (3) Weston-super-Mare AFC
13 Jan 2024 - 15:00Gateshead International Stadium

A valiant effort from Weston saw them bow out on penalties in the Isuzu FA Trophy Fourth Round against Gateshead following a 2-2 draw in 90 minutes.

The Seagulls took an early lead when a Max Harris kick forward was flicked on by Jamie Soule for Reuben Reid, who played the ball out to Dayle Grubb on the left. Taking a touch, he worked it onto his right foot and curled a stupendous effort past Harrison Bond in the Gateshead goal and into the far corner for 1-0.

Lloyd Humphries saw an audacious chip from 40 yards float wide of the post after winning the ball on halfway, before Jamie Soule saw a left-footed attempt dragged into the hands of Bond following some good work by Reid down the left. Heed skipper Kenton Richardson then had an effort from a Connor McBride free-kick clear the bar in the hosts’ first real attempt.

Oli Thompson saw an effort toward Harris’ near post pushed away by the shot-stopper, before Richardson then headed wide Thompson’s corner delivery. McBride had an opportunity when driving into the box after beating a couple of players, but his shot toward Harris’ near post was just past the target. Harris then caught a Marcus Dinanga volley from a Jordan Hunter cross as Gateshead continued to knock on the door.

The hosts were to draw level when a Thompson delivery from the left was flicked on by the head of Louis Storey, and found the net via the inside of the post for 1-1 inside first-half stoppage time.

Less than 30 seconds into the second half. Gateshead got the lead when McBride was found down the right and after beating Jordan Bastin, his cross was headed in at the back post by an unmarked Dinanga to make it 2-1.

A Reid volley from a tight angle from Robbie Wllmott’s cross drifted just past the far post, before Bond was forced into a double save when first denying a 20-yard Grubb attempt before getting up and stopping the rebound from Soule.

After Weston were reduced to ten men for the sending off of Willmott presumably for dissent, Thomas struck the bar at the front post when meeting a Grubb corner with his head before he had a goal disallowed for offside, this time heading in a free-kick from the skipper.

Hunter had a cross headed wide by Thompson from 12 yards, before Reid dragged an effort into the arms of Bond when turning inside the area.

With time running out to grab an equaliser, Lloyd Humphries was to step up from the back for a set-piece in the 92nd minute and glance in a header from a Dayle Grubb corner to level things up at 2-2.

With the game going to penalties, Weston skipper Grubb was to miss the first when his attempt struck the base of the post before Regan Booty tucked his penalty away. Lloyd Humphries & Reid then scored for the Seagulls, while Luke Hannant and Richardson converted for the visitors. Late substitute Alex Fletcher then put his penalty over the bar, before Harris guessed the right way to push away Dinanga’s penalty. Rex Mannings stepped up to score the final penalty for Weston, before the final Gateshead penalty by Storey was put away to seal the win.

FT: Gateshead 2-2 Weston (Storey 45+1, Dinanga 46 – Grubb 2, Humphries 90+2)
Penalties: Gateshead 4 (Scoted; Booty, Hannant, Richardson, Storey; Dinanga missed) Weston 3 (Scored; Humphries, Reid, Mannings; Grubb & Fletcher missed).
Attendance: 566 (39 away)

Weston XI: Harris, Bastin (Kempster 82), Humphries, Thomas, Pope, Jagger Cane (Fletcher 90+4), Grubb (C), Willmott (S/O 57), Dodd, Soule (Mannings 67), Reid. Unused substitute: Edwards.

MOTM: Reuben Reid.