Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Hungerford v WSM

Hungerford Town 2 - 0 Weston-super-Mare
07 Aug 2017 - 19:45

Weston succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Hungerford Town thanks to two spectacular goals.

The first 15 minutes of the game was dominated by the visiting Seagulls, with Tristan Plummer looking menacing on the right wing. Despite this, the home side had the first clear cut chance of the game; from a free kick on the edge of the Weston box a home player was on hand to poke it in, fortunately for the visitors the referee disallowed the goal after seeing a push on Luke Purnell.

Hungerford then followed this up with a period of high pressure, flashing a dangerous cross across the face of goal that was headed narrowly wide. Directly after that Purnell watched on as Hungerford were given the time and space to flash another shot just past the post.

On the 45th minute, with the last kick of the half, Callum Willmoth of Hungerford Town picked up a loose ball, 35 yards out on the right side of the pitch, and laced the ball over Purnell and into the top left stanchion, he unleashed a foot like traction engine to leave the Weston number one helpless. In truth it was a goal you could only stand and applaud, and it meant the visitors went into half time 0 – 1 down.

Weston began the second half well, with Plummer weaving through three defenders and flashing a shot past the far post courtesy of a healthy deflection. Despite this, in the 52nd minute Luke Williams bent a free kick on the edge of the post over everybody and into the bottom right corner of Purnell’s goal.

The second half was devoid of many other clear cut chances, with Hungerford keeping their shape and pressing efficiently and Weston centre backs Aden Baldwin and Jason Pope snuffing out any hope of counter attack for the home side.

The best chance for the Seagulls fell to Dayle Grubb on the edge of the box, smashing a shot off the crossbar and collected the rebound, laying it off to Jake Lee in a similar position and he was unlucky not to cap off an impressive performance with a goal, instead his effort flew into the stand.

That was the last meaningful action of the game, and the final score was 2-0 to Hungerford Town. The Seagull’s next game is St Albans away on Saturday 12th August.

Weston XI: Purnell, Harper, Baldwin, Pope, Greenslade, Collins, Lee, Kington, Seymour (Welch 82), Plummer (Reid 57)

Hungerford Town 2 – 0 Weston