Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Truro City v Weston-super-Mare AFC

Truro City 0 - 1 Weston-super-Mare AFC
23 Sep 2023 - 15:00Bolitho Park (Plymouth Parkway FC)

Weston emerged victorious over Truro for the second successive Saturday, as a wonder strike from Keiran Thomas earned The Seagulls all three points at Bolitho Park.

Thomas’ second-half screamer settled the game, but Weston also need to be thankful for a man-of-the-match display from goalkeeper Harry Lee, who kept the White Tigers at bay with a string of fantastic saves.

Weston started the game in confident mood following last Saturday’s FA Cup victory, and Scott Bartlett’s side looked comfortable in possession in the early stages of the match, although the only effort of note was Lloyd Humphries’ 30 yard free-kick that just cleared the bar.

Eventually, Truro found a foothold in the game, and Lee made a fantastic save from Adam Porter, and James Dodd was required to head Dan Rooney’s lofted effort off the line.

City’s Ryan Brett then forced Lee into another important stop, before Tyler Harvey headed wide from an Andrew Neal cross.

Truro were now enjoying most of the possession and chances, and another opportunity to break the deadlock fell the hosts’ way. Again, Neal found Harvey but the former Bath man was denied as Lee pushed his effort away. And moments later, Harvey was rueing his luck again as Lee spread himself as the Exeter City loanee thwarted him once more.

With Truro finding their way on top, it was probably a relief when the referee blew his half-time whistle.

At the start of the second 45 minutes, Weston were able to reassert themselves, and Thomas forced James Hamon into his first save. A well-worked move ended up with Thomas shooting ferociously from range, but Hamon was able to gather the ball fairly comfortably.

Like the first-half, Truro responded well and had a golden chance to break the deadlock. Neal found himself in space in the Weston area, but his side-footed effort rolled the wrong side of the post.

At the other end, Dayle Grubb’s free-kick was claimed by Hamon, before Lee made his best save of the day as he acrobatically pushed Harvey’s header around the post when he looked destined to score.

Moments later, Neal should have scored with a free header, but he guided the ball wide.

That missed attempt appeared to take the wind out of Truro’s sails and galvanised Weston.

Ryan Law was shown a second yellow card for a rash challenge on Dodd, although it could well have been a straight red.

Weston now had the extra man’s advantage, and almost immediately The Seagulls broke the deadlock. Bastin and Grubb were involved in a good passing move that ended up with the ball being worked to Thomas. The former Hereford man didn’t even take a touch as he unleashed a tremendous shot that arrowed towards the top-left corner. Hamon got a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out as Thomas added to his ever-growing catalogue of brilliant goals for Weston.

The Seagulls were then able to see out the remaining time in relatively comfortable fashion, as a superb rearguard display earned Weston a valuable three points on the road.

Weston-super-Mare AFC: Lee, Thomas, Pope, Avery, Humphries, Dodd, Morton, Edwards (Bastin H/T), Mannings (Jagger-Cane 88), Grubb, Reid

Unused subs: Purnell, James, Jackson

Man of the Match: Harry Lee. The former Plymouth Parkway loanee had a fantastic game on his return to Bolitho Park, keeping Truro at bay with several excellent saves.