Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Wealdstone v Weston-super-Mare

Wealdstone 2 - 1 Weston-super-Mare
27 Jan 2018 - 15:00

At Grosvenor Vale, a wonder strike saw the Seagulls drop down to 13th, with their opponents overtaking them as a result of the win.

In the opening five minutes, a Danny Greenslade free-kick came to Jake Lee, waiting at the back post whose looping header bounced off the bar before Wealdstone cleared it away from danger.

It didn’t take long for the Stones to go themselves ahead, Iffy Allen was fed through on goal. Despite the attentions of Parsons, he slid the ball past Purnell, with it nestling in the back of the net via the post.

The Seagulls searched for an equaliser, Gethyn Hill going close after receiving a pass inside from Greenslade but the strikers shot lacked adequate power to trouble Jon North.

Abu Eisa stepped up to a free-kick 25 yards out, but his 25-yard driven effort struck the post and rolled away.

Following those efforts, Weston and Wealdstone each had half-chances but no real attempts to note, with neither keeper really being tested.

Jerome Okimo was flashed a yellow card after a late challenge on Hunter, before Eisa decided to take the game by the scruff of his neck.

The winger started with the ball just inside his own half, skipping past both Hunter and Lee. Jacob Cane was next to meet him, but Eisa made light work of him too, seemingly breezing past. The winger, brother of Cheltenham winger Eisa, then travelled to Weston’s penalty area unchallenged, his stunning 20-yard effort fizzing past Purnell into the top corner.

Right-back Lee sliced wide when a ball was reversed into him in the box, before Hill met an inswinging Greenslade corner but his header was cleared off the line.

Ian Gayle received a second yellow card and his marching orders after going in studs-up on Hunter, as Weston attempted to up the pressure on the ten-man Wealdstone. Greenslade’s corner from the left was met by Hill, and his header nestled into an empty net after Jonathan North had failed to claim.

Weston had one last chance, but Hunter’s free-kick went high and handsomely over the bar.

FT: Wealdstone 2-1 Weston (Allen 8, Eisa 56-Hill 86)

Weston XI: Purnell, Pope, Greenslade, Cane (C), Lee, Parsons, Hunter, Diallo, Hill, Kington (Scott 72), Plummer. Unused substitutes: Reid, Laird.

MOTM: Jason Pope – Didn’t give Dave Pratt a sniff during the 90 minutes, intercepted passes calmly from central defence and distributed the ball well.