Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston-super-Mare AFC v Welling United

Weston-super-Mare AFC 4 - 2 Welling United
02 Dec 2023 - 15:00The Optima Stadium

A Reuben Reid brace as well as an Own Goal and a James Morton finish saw Weston beat Welling United 4-2.

Jordan Bastin had the game’s first chance when he controlled a Reid cross and fired a shot across goal wide of the target, before Dayle Grubb had a 25-yard shot held by Reiss Charles-Cook in the Welling goal. Charles-Cook then held a low Jordan Bastin effort from inside the area following Reid’s layoff. Tristan Abrahams then had Welling’s only chance of the half when he helped a Cameron Green cross over the bar from 12 yards.

The Seagulls were to take the lead when an inswinging corner by Willmott was met by Reid on the edge of the six-yard area, and his glancing header found the back of the net for 1-0.

Reid fired over the bar from inside the area following Robbie Willmott’s run and cross down the right-hand side, before Charles-Cook pushed a curling Grubb shot round the post and James Morton drove a 25-yard attempt over the bar when setting his sights.

The visitors were to level eight minutes after half-time when Jeptue Tanga got the wrong side of Jordan Bastin inside the area and was brought down, leaving the referee to point to the spot. Up stepped Abrahams, whose penalty beat Max Harris for power despite the debutant getting two hands to the attempt.

Robbie Willmott then had a shot from outside the area fly over the bar in response after Jason Pope’s low cross had been knocked clear to him.

Weston were to retake the lead when the ball was given away by Welling to Willmott on the right-hand side. Driving down the wing, his delicate cross was met by the head of Wings defender Will Wood, who diverted the ball into his own net past Charles-Cook for 2-1.

Weston went on the hunt for more goals as James Dodd drew a good save from Charles-Cook 18 yards out when he was able to reach a loose ball first, before Sam Avery dragged wide of the near post inside the area at the second phase from a corner. Welling defender Lachlan Byrd then hit the top of the crossbar from a corner in a rare Wings attack forward.

The Seagulls were to double their advantage when Dodd weaved his way past a Welling man 25 yards out. After being brought down, the referee played advantage with the loose ball coming out to Morton on the left wing. His excellent first-time pass found Reid inside the area, who brought the ball down on his left foot and curled a shot into the far corner for his brace.

Harris was called into action when Abrahams managed to get the better of Avery 18 yards out, his low shot being held by the Weston keeper comfortably.

Morton was to cap a good individual performance with Weston’s final goal when Grubb picked out Willmott on the right, who exchanged a one-two with Reid to find space on the wing. Willmott could pick out Morton charging into the centre unmarked, and he slotted in at the back post for his third goal of the campaign.

Welling were to pull one back when Tanga got down the right and his low cross came to Josh Chambers inside the area, whose low shot squirmed past Harris and into the bottom corner for his first goal in a Wings shirt.

In the game’s final attempt, Charles-Cook pushed a Bastin 25-yard shot round the post for a corner after the defender had set his sights from range.

FT: Weston 4-2 Welling (Reid 32, 76, Wood OG 58, Morton 81 – Abrahams pen 54, Chambers 83)
Attendance: 764.

Weston XI: Harris, Bastin, Humphries, Pope, Avery, Dodd (Fletcher 81), Grubb (C), Jagger Cane, Willmott (Mannings 90+2), Morton, Reid (Edwards 90+2). Unused substitutes: Thomas, Purnell.

MOTM: Reuben Reid.