Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston-super-Mare AFC v Weymouth

Weston-super-Mare AFC 2 - 3 Weymouth
26 Dec 2023 - 15:00The Optima Stadium

In the first of our festive double-header against Weymouth, Weston were defeated 3-2 in a thrilling encounter.

Jacob Jagger Cane had the game’s first opportunity when he fired over from the bar inside the area when being found by Jason Pope, before James Dodd had a shot from 18 yards pushed out by Gerard Benfield with Jacob Jagger Cane then firing the rebound wide when unable to sort his feet out. Harry Parsons then curled over on his left foot from 25 yards for the visitors.

Parsons then drove wide from 20 yards when managing to escape the attention of Pope, before a Teddy Howe shot from 25 yards was kept out by Harris with a Weston man managing to clear the loose ball off the line. Olu Durojaye then had a half-volley from 25 yards held by Harris when the ball dropped to him following a cross.

Dodd saw a right-footed attempt from an angle kept out by the foot of Benfield, before captain Dayle Grubb fired over from a 20-yard free-kick. Harris was then called into action again to keep out a low Parsons effort from 20 yards.

Weston were awarded a penalty when Dodd managed to turn Teddy Howe on the outside and drive into the box, the Weymouth right-back bringing the midfielder down from behind. Referee Harry Warner pointed to the spot, and skipper Grubb managed to squeeze his penalty past Benfield despite the Weymouth keeper getting a hand to the ball.

The visitors were to level things up when Parsons managed to work a yard of space on the edge of the area and fire a effort across Harris and into the far corner for 1-1.

First-half substitute Rex Mannings then drove a shot from 25 yards wide of the near post with his first touch, before Benfield tipped over a Grubb attempt inside the area when he latched onto Keiran Thomas’ pull-back.

The visitors were to go ahead when Howe received the ball down the right and clipped a cross into Tom Bearwish, whose glancing header bounced into the far corner.

Weston were to level not long after when after a period of possession, Dodd worked the ball out wide to Pope, who got a yard of space on his right foot and fired towards goal, his effort deceiving Benfield and hitting the back of the net for 2-2.

In the second half, Jagger Cane had a shot from 25 yards fly just past the post before Alfie Rutherford down the other end had a one-on-one kept out by Harris. The Weymouth striker then had a chance with his head, this time heading Howe’s cross wide.

James Morton saw a 25-yard deflected free-kick held by Benfield, before Jagger Cane had a shot from 18 yards pushed away by the Weymouth shot-stopper. Down the other end, Charlie Rowan had two opportunities, the first from 18 yards pushed away by Harris before a second from a similar distance narrowly past the Weston goal.

The visitors were to retake the lead when an excellent pass in behind found Brandon Gooship, whose low finish in between the legs of Harris while one-on-one restored his side’s lead.

Weston went close to an equaliser when Grubb and Thomas worked a one-two down the right side, the latter’s shot across goal narrowly wide of the far post.

Sam Avery was then shown a straight red card in second-half added time when bringing down Parsons from behind in a last-ditch tackle.

FT: Weston 2-3 Weymouth (Grubb pen 28, Pope 45+2 – Parsons 31, Bearwish 45, Goodship 71)
Attendance: 1,202.

Weston XI: Harris, Thomas, Avery (S/O 90+5), Pope (Bastin 75), Humphries, Morton (Jackson 80), Willmott (Mannings 32), Jagger Cane, Grubb (C), Dodd, Reid. Unused substitutes: Purnell, Fletcher.

MOTM: Jacob Jagger Cane.