Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston-super-Mare AFC v Woking FC

Weston-super-Mare AFC 3 - 2 Woking FC
12 Dec 2023 - 19:45The Optima Stadium

From 2-0 down at half-time, a Rex Mannings goal and Dayle Grubb brace saw Weston book a trip to Gateshead in the Isuzu FA Trophy Fourth Round.

Woking were to break the deadlock when the ball was given away down the right by the Seagulls and the ball fell into the path of Rhys Browne, whose low shot across Max Harris nestled nicely in the bottom corner for 1-0.

Browne dragged a shot wide of the far post after bringing down a long Luke Wilkinson pass, before Keiran Thomas headed a Dayle Grubb free-kick over from inside the area.

The visitors were to double the lead when Padraig Amond won the ball 25 yards out from the Weston goal and slipped a pass in to Browne, whose shot beat Harris and found the back of the net.

Weston had their clearest chance in first-half injury time when Jacob Jagger Cane played through Jordan Bastin, who got away from the last man and saw his one-on-one shot kept out by the foot of Will Jaaskelainan.

The Seagulls were to pull a goal back just three minutes after the interval when James Dodd found Rex Mannings on the right, and allowed to cut onto his left, he drove a low shot past Jaaskelainan from 18 yards at his near post.

Dan Moss had a first-time shot from 18 yards pushed over by Harris when latching onto a reverse pass by Browne, before Harris made a great stop from the resulting corner to deny an Amond glance. Lloyd Humphries then had a shot from 18 yards on his left foot deflect wide following a short corner routine.

Harris pushed a Browne shot round his near post following the forward’s curling effort on his left foot, before an Amond free-kick from 25 yards struck the post and bounced away. Down the other end, a low James Morton drive was held by Jaaskelainen in between the Woking sticks.

The Seagulls were to level seven minutes from the end when a smart attack led to substitutes Opi Edwards and Reuben Reid linking up down the right, the former finding the latter, and Reid’s pull-back being fired in by Grubb from 12 yards out via a deflection.

In the final chance of normal time, Paul Osew fired over the bar from inside the bar after a free-kick dropped in his directon.

There was still to be one chance in injury-time for a winner to come, and it was to come Weston’s way when Morton attacked Thomas’ cross in the air, his header striking the arm of Luke Wilkinson inside the area and referee Luke Eley pointing to the spot. Grubb stepped up to the spot in front of the AltoDigital stand, and dispatched his penalty into the side-netting of Jaaskelainan’s net to send Weston through to the Isuzu FA Trophy Fourth Round.

FT: Weston 3-2 Woking (Mannings 48, Grubb 83, pen 90+4 – Browne 13,34)
Attendance: 326.

Weston XI: Harris, Bastin, Humphries, Thomas, Avery, Dodd, Mannings (Edwards 65), Jagger Cane (Fletcher 80), Grubb (C), Morton, Jackson (Reid 80). Unused substitutes: Purnell, Pope.

MOTM: Dayle Grubb