Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston super Mare v Bristol Manor Farm

Weston super Mare 1 (3) - 1 (1) Bristol Manor Farm
01 Oct 2019 - 19:45The Optima Stadium

Scott Bartlett’s side progressed through in a 3-1 penalty shootout win over Bristol Manor Farm after a 1-1 draw in normal time.

Central midfielder Jarrad Welch had a swerving striker curve just wide of the goal from 25 yards, while Charlie Madden headed a floated George Dowling corner wide not long after. Ben John was forced into action for the first time by Owen Howe, the Seagulls skipper for the night drawing the save with a hard half-volley from a Connor Davies cross with John getting down well to push away.

Bristol Manor Farm took the lead when Jamie Adams’ shot was deflected wide for a corner off the thigh of Madden. After Weston cleared two consecutive corners behind, third time was the charm for the visitors as Ash Kington’s ball into the box was volleyed inside the post by Josh Nelmes at the near post.

John punched away Welch’s half-volley from 25 yards after Llewellyn had headed the ball down to him, before Dowling fired over from the same range and Welch drove his effort just wide of the target after a neat combination between Dowling and Llewellyn.

Malshanskyj dragged a shot into the arms of John after driving forward from inside the visiting half, before Weston got the equaliser from their own corner.

Davies’ cross was cut out and cleared behind for a corner, with 17 year-old Ryan Jone stepping up to curl it into the mix. The teenager’s corner swung in beautifully and over the heads of everyone, deemed to have crossed the line despite a Manor Farm player desperately trying to clear off the line. What a way for Jones to get his first senior Weston goal!

In the second half, the tempo from the first half died down a bit, but the Seagulls still created chances when Madden met a Mawford cross but headed over from six yards, Malshanskyj dragged a shot into the arms of John again after skipping inside and then cutting back onto his left, with Davies just failing to apply the finishing touch from a Jones cross.

With the last kick of the 90 minutes, Davies’ volley skimmed off the surface and just evaded the sliding Malshanskyj at the back post as the referee blew the whistle and we went to penalties.

On his return to competitive action for Weston, Purnell got down well to keep out Jamie Adams’ penalty, before Howe just squeezed his pen in despite John getting a hand to it.

Ash Kington hit the crossbar as he stepped up to the plate, before youngster Jones sent John the wrong way and gave Weston the advantage in the shootout.

Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist slotted in to give the visitors a lifeline in the shootout, but Jarrad Welch slotted in for 3-1 in the shootout. Up stepped BMF substitute Mason Winter, but he slammed his kick off the underside of the crossbar with the ball bouncing away as Weston saw penalty victory and progressed through to the next round.

FT: Weston 1-1 Bristol Manor Farm (Jones 41 – Nelmes 28)

Penalties: Weston (Howe – scored, Jones – scored, Welch – scored)

Bristol Manor Farm (Adams – missed, Kington – missed, Leigh-Gilchrist – scored, Winter – missed)

Weston XI: Purnell, Davies, Byrne, Welch, Parsons, Madden, Llewellyn, Dowling (Mawford HT), Howe (C), Malshanskyj, Jones. Unused substitutes: Laird, Tindle, Maher.

MOTM: Aaron Parsons