Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston-super-Mare v Chesham United

Weston-super-Mare 1 - 3 Chesham United
18 Oct 2022 - 19:45The Optima Stadium

Weston fell to their first defeat in 11 Southern League Premier South games with a 3-1 loss at home to Chesham United.

Weston had the opening chances in the game when James Dodd’s through ball to Scott Laird inside the opening 60 seconds saw the left-back’s low shot deflect behind for a corner off of Jeanmal Prosper, before Dodd’s shot from 25 yards was deflected behind for a corner.

Chesham took the lead six minutes into the game when Jack Connors’ corner was cleared back to him, and the second delivery was right on point for Jordan Edwards to bundle the ball in from a few yards out.

A second goal was to follow for the visitors five minutes later when Zak Joseph worked space down the right and drilled a low cross in, the ball striking Weston defender Lloyd Humphries and bouncing past a helpless Max Harris 2-0.

Sam Beasant was forced into his first save of the night when a Jordan Bastin free-kick wasn’t dealt with properly and Reuben Reid’s volley was pushed away by the visiting keeper. A long Besant kick from the back put Joseph in after a mixup between Humphries and Sam Avery, but the striker’s lob over Harris dropped beyond the post and wide of the target when one-on-one.

In the second half, Laird fired wide of the target from 20 yards on his left foot first-time after Reid had picked him out following a run down the wing. Reid then had a shot deflected wide from 18 yards after Dodd had picked him out, before Humphries’ dipping strike from 30 yards narrowly missed the target. Substitute Elis Watts then had his first opportunity of the game moments after coming on, firing over from inside the box after being fed by Reid.

Chesham then got a third of the game midway through the second half when Karl Oliyide ran at the Weston defence and his strike from inside the area struck the base of the post. The ball fell right at the feet of Edwards, who took a touch and dispatched his shot into the top corner past Harris for his second of the night.

Chesham were reduced to ten men in the final 10 minutes when Hippolyte-Patrick looked to cut past Murray inside the area and went down. The referee quickly blew his whistle, and flashed a second yellow toward the Chesham No.11.

Weston pulled one back when skipper Grubb cut inside from the left after controlling Dodd’s pass and his curling strike from outside the area found the bottom corner of Beasant’s goal for his 11th of the campaign.

FT: Weston 1-3 Chesham (Grubb 86 – Edwards 6,65, Humphries OG 11)
Attendance: 737

Weston XI: Harris, Murray, Laird, Jagger-Cane (Jones 88), Humphries, Avery, Dodd, Jackson (Griffith 76), Grubb (C), Bastin (Watts 59), Reid. Unused substitutes: Purnell, Tunnicliff.

MOTM: Jay Murray.