Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston super Mare v Odd Down

Weston super Mare 2 - 0 Odd Down
22 Mar 2016 - 19:45

Barnes Banger secures Weston Win in Somerset Premier Cup

In Weston’s first Quarter-Final appearance since the 2011-2012 season, where Weston triumphantly won the cup, Ollie Barnes fired in the winner today for Weston to send them through to the last four of the Somerset Premier Cup in a nervy encounter with Odd Down, who currently sit top of the Toolstation Premier.

There were 5 changes made by Ryan Northmore from the side that unfortunately lost at Maidstone 3-1 on Saturday. Luke Purnell kept his place in goal. Ben Withey replaced new signing Sekani Simpson at right-back with Jake Llewellyn keeping his place at left-back with the pair flanking make-shift centre-back pairing Jamie Edge and Barnes, who returned from suspension. Jason Pope, Dayle Grubb and Jacob Cane made up a central midfield trio, with Joe McClennan and Danny Wring supporting down the flanks and Tristan Plummer playing up top as a lone striker.

Weston had to deal with early Odd Down prssure during which they hit the post, but Weston’s fears evaporated into thin air with ease after 13 minutes when McClennan received the ball on the right before his pass into the middle was slotted home by Pope into the far corner via a deflection for his first goal of the season and Weston’s first on the night.

Grubb was looking to get in on the action when he weaved around 6 Odd Down players until he got into the box but his shot took a nick off a defender’s boot before the keeper palmed behind for a corner.

Weston then went close five minutes from the interval when Wring turned Odd Down defender Lee Bridson but his resulting shot was straight at Stuart Jones who collected easily.

Weston went into half time one to the good but Weston had to wait till after the hour mark for the first clear-cut chance of the second half when Plummer was released down the Weston right which he then bamboozled his way past two defenders by cutting back onto his left foot before delivering to McClennan whose shot was blocked by the keeper before being gathered at the second attempt.

Weston then made their pressure count in the second half when McClennan fed the ball to Grubb on the edge of the area before he played the ball to Pope on his left, who found Barnes on the left flank who, from a wide angle, sent a swerving shot over the head of the despairing Jones in between the sticks.

Weston were still looking for a third goal to ensure the game was wrapped up and they were inches away when lively substitute Tyler Davis turned the defender with expert grace before crossing for Plummer, who brought the ball down and his resulting shot was kicked away by the flailing foot of Jones.

The game wasn’t just remembered for a Weston win, as U18’s defender Glen Hayer came on during the 76th minute to get his first ever taste of senior football as he replaced Tristan Plummer and Hayer was able to receive his debut out of position up top.

Weston are now through to the Semi-Finals, where we will play Wells City of the Toolstation Western League Division 1 at the Woodspring, who currently sit 4th in the league being 6 points off of promotion. The semi-final is expected to take place on 6th April 2016 but this may change due to league commitments.



FT: Weston 2-0 Odd Down (Pope 13, Barnes 65)

Weston XI: Purnell, Withey, Llewellyn, Cane, Edge, Barnes, McClennan, Pope, Plummer (Hayer 76), Grubb (c) (Ingram 65), Withey (Davis 61).  

Unused substitutes: Keary, Wilson.

MOTM: Ollie Barnes – Barnes was assured and calm on the ball when in control, he used his voice all over the pitch, solid defensively and scored one of the goals of the season.


Match Report written by Liam Drury