Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weymouth v Weston-super-Mare AFC

Weymouth 3 - 3 Weston-super-Mare AFC
01 Jan 2024 - 15:00The Bob Lucas Stadium

In their first game of 2024, The Seagulls picked up a point after an entertaining 3-3 draw at Weymouth, in a game played in atrocious conditions.

However, Weston will leave the South Coast disappointed with the result having led 2-0 and 3-1 earlier in the game.

Weston made two changes to the side that started in the 3-2 defeat to The Terras on Boxing Day, as Jordan Bastin came in for Keiran Thomas, and Alex Fletcher replaced the departed James Morton.

The home side started confidently after last week’s win at the Optima, and earned a free-kick 25 yards from goal within the first minute. Up stepped Brandon Goodship and his fierce, curling effort hit the underside of the bar before being cleared.

Soon after, Weston launched their first attack. Jason Pope brought the ball out of defence and slipped a wonderful ball into the feet of Reuben Reid, whose angled drive was pushed to safety by Gerard Benfield.

Weston continued to attack with great fluidity, and dangerman Reid won a free-kick after being unceremoniously barged off the ball, but the eventual set-piece came to nothing.

However, The Seagulls were to take the lead from a set-piece a little while later. Dayle Grubb curled another free-kick across the area, and Sam Avery got on the end of it to give Weston a deserved lead.

And a minute later, The Seagulls doubled their lead and it was another assist from the Weston skipper. Reid found Grubb and his fantastic cross found Alex Fletcher. His first-time effort was parried by Benfield, but Fletcher gleefully rammed home the rebound to make it two.

Grubb was agonisingly close to a third, but his free-kick from around 30 yards hit the top of the crossbar and spun to safety.

Towards the end of the first-half, Weymouth’s Charlie Rowan was hurt and the game was paused as he received treatment. Thankfully though, it sounds as though the Weymouth player has made a good recovery.

The officials indicated ten minutes of injury-time, and in that period Weymouth pulled a goal back after a handball in the area. From the penalty, Max Harris went the right way, but Goodship’s accurate effort nestled in the bottom right-hand corner.

Half-time: Weymouth 1-2 Weston-super-Mare

The Seagulls enjoyed most of the possession in the first-half and they continued in the same vein after the interval, and looked a threat every time they attacked.

And after 55 minutes, Weston doubled their lead. Willmott picked up the ball on the right flank and played it across to Reid, and he fired in at Benfield’s near post to make it 3-1.

Reid was agonisingly close to scoring again moments later. Right-back Pope again fed the experienced striker, whose shot was partially blocked. The ball rolled towards the net before a Terras defender cleared it off the line.

Weymouth pulled a goal back in the 75th minute when Goodship swept home after an incisive move.

The Dorset side were galvanised by that goal, and they were delighted when they equalised with time running out, as Ezio Touray found the back of the net to earn his side a share of the spoils.

It was another thrilling clash between Weston and Weymouth, although that will be of little consolation to The Seagulls after dominating for long periods.

FULL-TIME: Weymouth 3-3 Weston-super-Mare (Goodship 45, 75 Touray 88; Avery 25, Fletcher 26, Reid 55)

Weston-super-Mare AFC: Harris, Pope, Bastin, Jagger Cane, Humphries, Avery, Willmott (Thomas 82), Dodd, Grubb(c), Fletcher (Jackson 70), Reid.

Unused substitutes: Purnell, Mannings, Soule.

Man of the Match: Reuben Reid. Another hard-working display, full of running. Instrumental in Weston’s attack and a fine goal to show for his efforts.