Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

WSM v Hemel Hempstead

Weston super Mare 3 - 5 Hemel Hempstead Town
03 Dec 2016 - 15:00

From the first whistle the Seagulls appeared enthusiastic and looked to put the Tudors Keeper Jamie Butler to test within a minute when Brad Ash received a ball following a run from Jamie Laird but it went un-converted.

Early movement from Weston and a fired up Dayle Grubb constantly searching out good positions all seemed to indicate the hosts were looking to capitalise on their recent previous League performances but then were undone when a defensive error allowed Jake Robinson to poke the ball past Luke Purnell.

Despite the initial positive start the visitors goal visibly shook the Seagulls and Hemel almost doubled their lead within 3 minutes of their first goal when Chris Barker had to clear a Jordan Parkes cross following a run down the left.

Weston seemed unable to break through the congested Hemel defence, with Brad Ash having numerous attempts at getting in to a shooting position smothered by the Tudors defenders, and his frustration showed, not helped when a foul and penalty appeal were both waved away by the referee and linesman.

Grubb and Ash continued to push for a chance on goal but the Seagulls seemed vulnerable at the back, and set pieces were fraught for the both the host team and watching fans alike.

A free kick led to the next goal, located just outside the box, taken by Jordan Parkes, beating the wall and although Purnell got a hand to it, the ball found its way in to the top corner of the net.

A long ball found Robinson in the box who netted again for his second, and the third for Hemel, seeing them go in to the break 3 goals to the good.

Seagulls Head-Coach Scott Bartlett reacted and made all 3 substitutions, introducing Jon Moran, Kaid Mohamed and Jamie Bird in replacement for Ashley Kington, Tom Andserson and Jamie Laird.

Four minutes in to the second half and Jacob Cane found the side netting and then Aden Baldwin saw a headed effort almost find its target, with the changes seeming to make an instant impact on the teams performance.

Despite this, Hemel once again hit the Seagulls on the break again, seeing Robinson chalk up his hat-trick. Whilst Weston seemed to be making efforts to get back in to the match these efforts were to seemingly no avail.

A run from Dayle Grubb that then found Ash waiting in the penalty area saw the chance uncharacteristically squandered by the Barnsley loanee, then Jamie Bird, Kaid Mohamed and Dayle Grubb all seemingly going close but with no reward.

Ash’s perseverance paid off when he was picked out expertly by Jamie Bird and got his name on the score sheet.

Another goal to the visitors from Rohdell Gordon put the nail in the coffin for Weston, who despite finding the net again with another goal from Ash and being awarded an own-goal when Hemels Matt Saunders found his own net now see themselves joint second from bottom and with work to do to ensure safety from the relegation zone.