Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Weston-super-Mare v Wealdstone

Weston-super-Mare 5 - 1 Wealdstone
05 Sep 2017 - 19:45The Woodspring Stadium

Weston upped their game against struggling Wealdstone on Tuesday evening, as the Seagulls ran away 5-1 winners through four second-half goals.

Weston could have had a three-minute lead when Dayle Grubb darted inside, his shirt being pulled all the way, and his pass through for Jake Mawford led to the summer signing’s dink being blocked by Stones keeper Jonathan North.

Matt Whichelow drove straight at Luke Purnell after being found on the other side of the box by Kaid Mohamed, with Matt Day heading wide from a Ricky Wellard free-kick minutes later.

Jake Reid shot wide after beating Day to a Mawford header, before Wellard cut inside onto his left foot yet saw his shot go straight down Purnell’s throat.

Weston took the lead just before the half-hour mark when Naby Diallo intercepted a pass out of defence, found Grubb who cut onto his right foot and unleashed a venomous strike into the far corner, proving too powerful for North.

Eddie Oshodi glanced a header wide from a free-kick, showing a sign of things that were still to come in the first half. A minute before half-time, Oshodi rose highest to meet a cross from Ciaron Brown, levelling things up going into the break.

Stephane Ngamvoulou’s cross was blasted wide by Oshodi following half-time, arriving at the back post, before Weston took the lead a minute later.

Grubb charged through the centre, with one of his trademark dribbles, but the ball was pinched off his toe by Reid. From the edge of the area, the target man steered his shot into the bottom corner, out of North’s reach, to regain the lead.

Weston went 3-1 up through neat build-up once more, Grubb’s disguised pass setting Jake Lee free who pulled the ball across for a sliding Reid to tap into an empty net.

A minute after taking to the field, Tristan Plummer had a shot tipped over the bar by North, as Weston continued to up the pressure on the visitors defence. Weston managed to counter from a Stones corner, with Weston three on one. Aden Baldwin slipped the ball through for Diallo, who had his shot saved by North. Plummer retreived the ball, with a seemingly easy chance, but he dallied with the opportunity and Hill cleared off the line.

Weston fourth came when Mawford set Grubb on his way, rounding North as calmly as possible and slotted into the net to see the game off.

There was even time for the Seagulls to get a fifth, when Plummer poked Lee in on goal, and he calmly slotted home for his third league goal of the campaign on a perfect night for Weston.

FT: Weston 5-1 Wealdstone (Grubb 29, 86, Reid 54, 65, Lee 90+4-Oshodi 44)

Weston XI: Purnell, Pope (Harper 55), Greenslade, Cane, Baldwin, Laird, Mawford (Welch 89), Diallo, Reid (Plummer 70), Grubb(C), Lee. Unused substitute: Kington.

MOTM: Jake Reid – Seems to truly be coming into his own recently, whether that be up front on his own or alongside someone, and his two goalsin this fixture showed that the striker has the ability to find the net.