The clubs first site was known as the Great Ground at the junction of Locking Road and Hutton Moor Road, this has now since been developed as a private housing estate. The Football Club came into being after players in the former Weston Aircraft side had suggested at their AGM that a team bearing the town’s name should be formed.
So Mr Ted Recardo who was running the Aircraft Side, approached a member of the then Borough Council Mr George Cooper, who responded enthusiastically to the idea and became the founder chairman. At first friendly matches were played and players changed at the rear of a garage opposite the Locking Road Ground. The first record of a Weston-super-Mare side in a competitive match was in the 1887/88 season when they lost to local rivals Clevedon Town 2-1 in a Medal Competition organised by the Somerset FA. The following year Weston were members of a “County Committee” of the Somerset FA.
Weston’s first cup win was in March 1911 when the beat Clevedon 3-0 in the Weston Charity Cup. In 1913/14 they finished third in the Bristol Charity League Bath City and Bristol Rovers Reserves.
In 1922/23 they played in a Bristol and District League coming second behind Bristol Leather Trades winning 17 and drawing 6 of their 28 games. That season they also won the Bristol Charity Cup beating Clevedon 8-2 in the final on the 5th May 1923 at Yatton’s Football Ground.
The third Cup victory was in the 1926/27 season when they won the Somerset Senior Cup defeating Paulton Rovers 3-2 in the semi-finals after starting with only nine men because two players had been sent bogus telegrams advising that the match was off. They went on to defeat Welton Rovers in front of a 6,000 crowd.
They were also finalists that year in the Clevedon Charity Cup losing 5-1 to Clevedon. In those days Weston players were played half a crown (12p) to play. Clevedon again beat Weston in the replay of the 1936/37 Somerset Senior League knock out cup after drawing 1-1 in the first match.
As in the Great War, Weston were disbanded for the Second World War.