Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


Weston-super-Mare AFC Academy under 15s ran out 4-3 winners under the Friday night lights against North Somerset at the Optima Stadium.

By Jake Richards

The Young Seagulls made the perfect start when a free kick was given 35 yards from goal. Jack Harding stood over the free kick and struck it gloriously seeing his effort sail over the keeper and into the top corner, 1-0 to Weston.

North Somerset bounced back instantly and started to build pressure on the Weston defence. A fast counter attack saw an effort dragged wide and it wasn’t long before North Somerset won themselves a corner.

The resulting corner was delivered to the front post and met by the head of a North Somerset player and guided into the far corner to make it 1-1.

North Somerset continued to control the game and proved that when the midfielder found space outside the area and picked out the top corner to give North Somerset a 2-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Weston got a grip on the game in the second quarter and started to search for an equaliser. Jack Harding had an effort saved by the goalkeeper as he looked to add to his earlier strike.

Weston continued to attack down both wings but couldn’t find an equaliser before the break and North Somerset lead 2-1 at half time.

The Seagulls maintained the pressure and were finally rewarded in the 52nd minute. James Davies played a marvellous, pin point, through ball to Jack Derrick who took one touch before drilling the ball into the far bottom corner to make it 2-2.

Despite Weston finding an equaliser, it was North Somerset who came closest to re-taking the lead. A one-on-one where it looked easier to score than miss was curled handsomely past the post to keep it level.

Shortly before the end of the third quarter saw the first booking of the evening; the North Somerset right-back for a cynical foul as Weston seeker to counter. The resulting free kick was watched past the post and the whistle went to end the third quarter.

The final quarter saw North Somerset with the first chance but another one-on-one was squandered with the ball going narrowly past the post.

Weston finally got back in front in the 73rd minute when Reuben Lane cut the ball back to Lucas Smith who set himself on the edge of the area and beautifully curled the ball home into the far corner to put Weston 3-2 up.

Weston were to extend their lead just 3 minutes later when a quick throw in saw Reece Parsons with time and space on the corner of the area to chip the ball over the goalkeeper on the half volley. 4-2 to Weston!

North Somerset weren’t quite done yet and made sure Weston had a nervy last couple of minutes when they managed to squeeze the ball past Regan D’Arcy at the third attempt to make it 4-3.

Weston were however to hold onto their lead and complete a fantastic win over North Somerset gaining 3 points in the process.

FT: Weston 15s 4-3 North Somerset 15s (Harding 2, Derrick 52, Smith 73, Parsons 76 – 11, 15, 79)

Weston XI: D’Arcy, Hayes, Willis, Davies, Avery, Hine, Ayers, Harding, Derrick, Parsons, Lane.

Substitues: Dadds, Muddit, Lawrence, L Smith, H Smith.

MOTM: Jack Derrick

Leave a Reply