Vanarama National League South
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


A Brandon Bak brace and a Dan Maspero wonder goal was enough for the Young Seagulls to overcome Radstock and book their place in the First Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup.

In a first competitive outing for a new-look Under 18s side it was no surprise to see a cagey opening 10 minutes. Neither side wanted to give much away and chances were limited. That changed in a flash when a marvellous flick from Bak found Louis Singfield who returned the favour and slid Bak in behind. The forward made no mistake and delicately slotted past Crouch in the Radstock goal.

After soaking up a short period of Radstock pressure, Weston began to find their feet and take a hold of the game. Captain Oscar Collins had a couple of half-chances but didn’t trouble the goalkeeper. Chances were beginning to become more frequent for the Seagulls as Bak and Potter both put shots the wrong side of the bar.

The second goal did arrive in the 39th minute after some brilliant footwork from Bak allowed him to find an extra yard of space in the box. Once again, no mistake was made and Bak coolly slotted home to give the Young Seagulls a 2-0 lead as half time approached.

HT: Weston-super-Mare 18s 2-0 Radstock Town 18s

Radstock came out for the second half with a point to prove. Looking for a way back into the game they were playing with a slightly faster tempo. Luke Baggaley was a victim of this as he received the game’s first yellow card for breaking up an attack about 20 yards from goal. The resulting free-kick was however easily dealt with.

What happened next was what can only be described as a moment of magic from Dan Maspero. His silky footwork allowed him to glide past as many as three Radstock defenders before unleashing a glorious curling effort into the top corner to all but seal the win for Weston.

The flow of the game slowed up with half an hour to go as subs began to be made and legs began to tire. Singfield was next into the book as he also broke up a counter attack with a cynical challenge in the 72nd minute of the tie. Changes continued to be made with the game simmering to a close. There was still time for one more flash point as Theo King and Harry Smith came together off the ball. Hands were raised from both and it was an altercation that could certainly have seen at least one red card. After consulting his assistant, the referee decided that a yellow each was suitable punishment.

The Seagulls then made sure they kept their clean sheet in tact and saw the game out comfortably and saw no issues arrive in the further five minutes added on by the referee. A thoroughly professional performance from the young lads ensures progression in the FA Youth Cup.

FT: Weston-super-Mare 18s 3-0 Radstock Town 18s (Bak 11, 39, Maspero 54)

Weston XI: Sheridan, Singfield, King, Potter (Owen 68), Baggaley (Ealden 56), Peggler, Collins (C), Dean, Stabbins (Smith 73), Maspero, Bak

Unused Subs: Skidmore, Withers, Edwards

MOTM: Harry Peggler


Leave a Reply